Registrations for the 2022/23 Nippers Program are now CLOSED.
Nipper Program 2022/23
Dates for the 2022/23 Nippers Program are as follows:
- Week commencing 12 September – Applications for Nipper Captains open
- Early October – Nipper (Main Season) Registration Opens
- October – After School Nipper program commences (Term 4) – (Dates TBC)
- Sunday 9 October – Applications for Nipper Captains close
- Week commencing 17 October – Interviews for Nipper Captain roles
- Wednesday 30 November – Nipper Registration Closes
- Monday 26 December – Nipper Gear packs assembled and distributed
- Monday 26 December – AGM and Coaches briefing
- Tuesday 27 December- Nipper session 1 including Welcome to Country
- Wednesday 28 December – Nipper session 2
- Thursday 29 December – Nipper session 3 – comp swims for Carnivals completed (date subject to change pending conditions)
- Friday 30 December – Nipper session 4
- Saturday 31 December – Nipper session 5
- Sunday 1 January – Rest Day
- Monday 2 January – Nipper session 6
- Tuesday 3 January – Club Champs
- Tuesday 3 January – Club Champs presentation and Nipper Family Pizza afternoon
- Wednesday 4 January – Nipper session 7 and March Past
Nipper Registration Season 2022/23
In order to ensure that you are ready to sign the kids up, make sure you have paid your Membership fees. Also, please ensure that all members over the age of 18yrs have a valid Working With Children Check (refer to our WWCC section for further details ).
See our Membership section for further information on how to Renew or Join Fairhaven SLSC..
The Fairhaven SLSC Nippers has a proud history of teaching children how to have fun & keep safe on the beach since the summer of 1972/73.
The program is designed for children aged 5-14 & aims to teach them to be aware of important beach hazards (such as rips), as well as helping them to develop surf swimming & boarding skills. It also provides a terrific opportunity for physical activity, social interaction with peers & to improve awareness regarding environmental issues affecting our beaches & waterways. As Nippers move through the program they also acquire basic first aid & resuscitation skills. To enrol in our youngest age category, “Mozzies”, children must be 5 years old by September 30 in the year that they start. For details regarding age group cut off see Age Groups.
Nippers have the opportunity to compete in Carnivals, both during the summer months & beyond (for more information see Nipper Carnivals). The competition calendar culminates in the Victorian State Championships hosted by various SLSC’s state-wide. Children wishing to compete at these events are required to do a “Competition Competency Assessment” during the main Nipper program (which has replaced the S Badge) to ensure that they are safe to compete in the water.
Following on from the Nippers Program, young members of Fairhaven SLSC (aged 13-15) are able to gain their SRC (Surf Rescue Certificate), which is the first step to becoming a life saver or Patrolling member. For details see Training & Assessment.
The Bronze Medallion course is run from age 15.
Should you have any queries, please feel free to contact either Nicole, Mel or Tanya below:-
Mel Vallence & Tanya Singleton – [email protected]
Nicole Clarke – [email protected]