Registration for this years Nipper program is now OPEN.
Program Registration 2019/20
Families who wish to participate in the Nipper program at Fairhaven need to follow the following steps prior to enrolling for Nippers from Oct 1. If you enrol during October you are guaranteed that your child/ren will be included in the program & beyond that places are subject to availability. Enquiries should be directed to [email protected].
Prior to registering for Nippers you need to make sure you have:
1) Joined or renewed your FSLC membership, making sure you renew for all family members. Nippers cannot enrol unless they themselves are active members on the portal & also that they have at least 1 parent or guardian who is an active FSLC member.
For more information on membership (including becoming a member) click here.
Membership is renewed via the SLSA Members Portal: members.sls.com.au
2) Paid family membership. Family membership is restricted to 1-2 adult members and their children aged between 5 and 17 years. This fee ($310 for season 2019/20) covers the cost of any children in that nuclear family participating in Nippers (there is no surplus “per head” fee), as well as access to the club & it’s facilities during the season. Family Membership does not include U14 SRC or Bronze course fee. These can be paid at the same time but are a separate fee. Go To: Program Fees
3) Have a valid WWCC. Go To: Working with Children Check.
4) Swim Proficiency forms completed. Go To: Swimming Proficiency FAQ
5) Register for Nippers on this page from October 1.
Main Season 2019/20
Season dates are as outlined below, some aspects still TBC & may be subject to minor changes but start & end dates are set at this time, to assist families making holiday plans.
Please contact Kirstin Charlesworth at [email protected] with any queries.
|Friday, 27 December
||Session 1 (10am-noon)
|Saturday, 28 December
||Session 2 (10am-noon)
|Sunday, 29 December
||Session 3 (10am-noon)
|Monday, 30 December
||Session 4 (10am-noon) / Open Mic (time TBC, pm)
|Tuesday, 31 December
||Session 5 (10am-noon)
|Wednesday, 1 January
|Thursday, 2 January
||Lorne Shield (TBC & times TBA)
|Friday, 3 January
|Saturday, 4 January
||Session 6 (10am-noon)
|Sunday, 5 January
||Club Champs (time TBC, am) / Tim Gates (pm)
Comp Season 2019/20
Any Nippers U9-U13 welcome to join comp training, venue depends on tides & conditions, details advised via What’s App feed. If you would like to join the What’s App Comp Feed, just text Kirstin on 0409644435.
Mon Jan 6 / Tues Jan 7 / Wed Jan 8 / Thurs Jan 9
Further training dates, Carnival Dates & locations will be updated once released by LSV.
State Champs Warnambool March 7/8/9, 2020.
The Fairhaven SLSC Nippers has a proud history of teaching children how to have fun & keep safe on the beach since the summer of 1972/73.
The program is designed for children aged 5-14 & aims to teach them to be aware of important beach hazards (such as rips), as well as helping them to develop surf swimming & boarding skills. It also provides a terrific opportunity for physical activity, social interaction with peers & to improve awareness regarding environmental issues affecting our beaches & waterways. As Nippers move through the program they also acquire basic first aid & resuscitation skills. To enrol in our youngest age category, “Mozzies”, children must be 5 years old by September 30 in the year that they start. For details regarding age group cut off see Age Groups.
Nippers have the opportunity to compete in Competitions & Carnivals, both during the summer months & beyond (for more information see Nipper Competitions). The competition calendar culminates in the Victorian State Championships hosted by various SLSC’s state-wide. Children wishing to compete at these events are required to do a “Competition Competency Assessment” during the main Nipper program (which has replaced the S Badge) to ensure that they are safe to compete in the water.
Following on from the Nippers Program, young members of Fairhaven SLSC (aged 13-15) are able to gain their SRC (Surf Rescue Certificate), which is the first step to becoming a life saver or Patrolling member. This course runs as an 8 day program over summer (for details see Training & Assessment).
The Bronze Medallion course is run from age 15.