A waning sun, Easter Eggs, big surf and tides and the start of the footy season are all signs that we are drawing to a close for 2018-2019 but there are a few important dates for your calendar still to be noted.
- Australian Surf Life Saving Championships – 30 March – 7 April – Broadbeach SLSC
- River Swim – Saturday 20 April
- FSLSC Presentation Night – Sunday 21 April (full details in Easter Haven)
- 30/31 March – Patrol 7
- 6/7 April – Patrol 1
- 13/14 April – Patrol 6
- 19 April – Good Friday – Patrol 3
- 20 April – Easter Saturday – Patrol 7
- 21 April – Easter Sunday – Patrol 2
- 22 April – Easter Monday – Patrol 1
A big thank you to all of our fantastic patrolling members so far this season. It has been one of the most consistent in recent memory, but we are not finished yet! Let’s keep up the brilliant work as we round out the last month of the patrolling season.
A special mention also goes out to Ollie Paton, who came to the aid of a patrol that was looking short on numbers on recent weekend.
Not only did Ollie immediately get in touch to volunteer his services during the week, he then proceeded to catch an early bus down the coast to prepare the patrolling equipment so that it was ready to go well in advance of the designated start time. Fantastic work Ollie, and also to every single one of our members who has signed on and donned the red and yellow at some stage throughout the season!
Production of the Easter Haven publication is almost completed and will be available in soft and hard copy. A big thanks to Haven Editor/ Patrol 7 legend – Stew Miles who does a fantastic job with production for the club.
State Championships Results
Congratulations to all Fairhaven competitors who represented our club at Warrnambool over the long weekend in March.
U 14 boys
- Gabriel Cornwell – Gold U14 Surf Race
- Billy Thatcher – Gold U14 1km Run
- Aiden Corr – U14 Bronze Beach Flags
- Gabriel and John Cornwell – U14 Gold Board Rescue
- Gabe, John, Billy and Aiden – Silver Beach Relay
- Gabe and John Cornwell Bronze Belt and Reel
- Olivia Hamley GOLD Beach Flags and 4th Beach Sprint. She also won a gold medal in a composite beach relay.
- U17 girls Mia Hamley Silver Beach Flags
- Wendy McAlpine Bronze 2km Beach Run
- Rebecca Patrick 4th 2km beach run
- Chloe Hardman, Wendy and Rebecca 5th open ski relay (9 teams) and 13th in taplin (17 teams).
Two masters surf boat crews, one male and one female, competed on Sunday, making semi-finals.
This was a great last hit-out before heading north to the Aussies in April.
We have 4 Fairhaven members competing at Aussies in Ocean and Beach events.
- Gabriel Cornwell will be competing in youth events at North Burleigh on 30 and 31st March.
- Owen Richards, Mal Freake and Ross Cummins will be competing in Masters Beach.
We also have 2 surf boat crews competing:
- Dave Thompson will sweep for a 200+ masters women crew.
- Peter Grant will sweep for a 240+ masters men crew.
Best of luck to all our competitors!
New Fairhaven member Owen Richards was recently featured in a Geelong Advertiser article – great story about his introduction to the club and success in Surf Sports!
Member and Leadership Development
Fairhaven SLSC was well represented at a recent LSV breakfast to coincide with International Women’s Day.
Attending members listened to an excellent presentation on Determination and Influence by Michelle Redfern, founder of Advancing Women. Michelle was the recipient of an AFR/QANTAS – Women of Influence Award in 2018.
Fairhaven members Jacqui Dreher and Nancy Joseph were also amongst 50 women recognised state wide as Outstanding Women in Lifesaving.
The LSV Female Leadership Network continues to break new ground in promoting, recognising and enhancing female leadership within our organisation.
Well done to members Nancy Joseph and Laura Buckley for their roles with the network.
Thanks again for your support of the club over Season 2018-2019.
I look forward to seeing many of you at the beach shortly!
President – Fairhaven SLSC