The Working with Children Check (WWCC) is a State Government requirement which was introduced several years ago. It is a current check and ongoing cross-checking of criminal records for sex, drug or violence offences, with notification to our Club and Life Saving Victoria.
WHY IS KEEPING CHILDREN SAFE IMPORTANT?
Keeping children safe is not just a moral obligation for Life Saving Victoria and its members as the state of Victoria has now legislated a process aimed at formally protecting children (U18) from physical and sexual harm. Therefore to ensure our members are operating within the legal framework, it is imperative that all members over 18 years obtain the WWCC.
TO OBTAIN A WWCC:
- Go to www.workingwithchildren.vic.gov.au and fill in an online application form.
Note: Before completing the form online, make sure you have a printer of reasonable quality and Adobe Acrobat Reader or Open Office to print a summary of your application. The Application Summary and Receipt must be printed on separate pages of A4 paper (i.e. single-sided) without any scaling or cropping.
- In ‘Section D: Details of Child-Related Work’ please use the Code Number 42.
- In ‘Section E: Details of Organisation/s’ enter:
Primary Organisation – Life Saving Victoria, PO Box 353, South Melbourne VIC 3205, Phone: 03 9676 6900
Other Organisation – Fairhaven SLSC, PO Box 221, Aireys Inlet VIC 3231, Phone: 03 5289 6275
- Provide 100 point identification.
- Provide a passport size photo (must be regulated size and within the last 12 months)
- Lodge your application at a participating Australia Post retail outlet , where you must provide the photo and prove your identity. Once you have lodged your application and obtained a receipt, you can partake in activities involving members under 18 years whilst waiting for your application to be processed.
- DO NOT SIGN (OR ATTACH A PHOTO) UNTIL YOU LODGE YOUR APPLICATION.
When you receive your official WWCC, club’s must sight your card so they have an updated record of club members with the WWCC. Many clubs are photocopying the WWCC of all members to ensure they have completed the various liability requirements of the WWCC.
The WWCC is valid for five (5) years. You will receive a letter explaining how to renew your card prior to it expiring.
Please note: To update your WWCC details in the system, please email [email protected] your name, Member ID, and WWCC details.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU DON’T RECEIVE A CARD?
The WWCC looks for criminal activity relevant to the physical and sexual safety of children under 18 years of age. If a member has their application denied, they are issued with a Negative Notice by the Victorian Department of Justice. The member (applicant) and Life Saving Victoria’s CEO will be informed. It is important to understand that Life Saving Victoria maintains strict adherence to privacy legislation which regulates such personal information being broadcast to a wider audience.
If a member does have their application denied, they cannot be a member of the Fairhaven Surf Life Saving Club or Life Saving Victoria.